Wednesday 10 April 2013

My Babies
2013-04-10

I love cats.  They're fun, bright, cuddly and mostly self-maintaining.

Teeka is a sphynx cat--she's hairless and a bit on the smallish side.  Elroy just joined the family a few weeks ago.  He, too, is a sphynx, but full-sized.  He's a total lovebug, and the two have hit it off famously.

Here's a shot:


Elroy (pink; foreground) and Teeka
Sphynxes are extra-bright and engaging; there's always one hanging out or looking for lap space, or play... or treats... or nip--or, most importantly, warmth!

Teeka--the little blue-gray one in the pic--loves to play, either with toys, or one-on-one.  At random, she'll run up and start roughing-up my leg, making nasty-faces and generally looking for trouble.  That's my cue to jump up, raise my arms, roar like a monster and give chase.  She flees up the stairs, then comes charging back once I turn around.  In her previous home, she'd spent entire winters huddled up to the impotent baseboard heaters.  In summer, she's a total sun slut.  She baked away last summer, on the balcony, while I looked for work.  Now she's got spring fever and has taken to charging defiantly out onto the front step for a sniff and a shiver, when someone comes home.

Both like their spankings--it's a peculiarity of the breed.  Teeka's favourite spanking pose is left-cheek-up, clinging to the end of the arm of the chesterfield; for Elroy, it's on the bed.  Flop-"'Pank me!"

Because their faces are bare, Sphynxes broadcast their emotions more readily.  I know at a glance what kind of mood Teeka's in, and usually what she wants.  She gives 'the look' better than Mother; and when she's agitating for a tussle, her little Shatner-aping grimace telegraphs "Khaaaaaaaan!".  And, boy, smiles are special!

This post is mostly for the benefit of my friend Natasha, who's breaking into Northern life on her own and whose three little doggies are still waiting to join Mommy up North.  I know this picture will bring her a smile.

Have a good week.

-Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment